Thursday, September 04, 2008

Today: darkness, flat tire, spokes

I left a bit earlier than usual this morning, about 5:45 am, and needed my lights for more than half the ride. I tend to switch the headlight over to flashing mode once it’s no longer actually dark. I must get a switch and connector so I can wire up the dynohub.

No luck finding replacement spokes for the folder yesterday. I went round to the the LBS but they didn’t have anything the right length. They suggested another shop that does a lot of bmx stuff so I headed there after work. En route I managed to ride over a roofing nail and had to stop to repair the resulting puncture. I just had the mini-pump and after two hundred strokes noticed the tire was losing air almost as fast as I was pumping it in. Out came the tube again and I discovered that I'd missed the second hole the nail had made. I'd noticed that there were two holes but I hadn't put the patch in right place. Perhaps I should add a magnifying glass to my patch kit to make up for my wretched eyesight. Tire repaired, it was off to Joe Mamma, where they didn't have the correct lenghth spokes but where able to cut some to size. While I waited, I had a look at some bmx rims. Lots of them 48 spoke and quite heavy, built to take all that crazy jumping I guess. They didn't have anything suitable in stock (cheap, 36 hole, etc.) so the fixed wheel will have to wait. At any rate I can get on with repairing the existing rear wheel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home